We aim to deliver high-quality Physical Education and provide opportunities for children at Heyes Lane to enjoy and achieve success in a wide range of sports. We endeavour to ensure the building blocks are in place for a lifetime of physical activity. As children learn, they will develop the fundamental movement skills to take part in an activity they enjoy. We recognise the importance of PE in both contributing to 60 active minutes every day and the role it plays in promoting long-term healthy lifestyles. In our PE lessons, we aim to ensure children are physically active for sustained periods and there is appropriate challenge for every child. In addition to the physical and mental health benefits our lessons provide, the children also have the opportunity to collaborate with their peers, build self-esteem, confidence and resilience.
Progression and Outcome
Children will leave our school as young people who:
- have developed fundamental skills and can apply them to a variety of sports and activities.
- have participated in competitive games.
- have developed their flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance.
- have performed dances using a range of movement patterns.
- have experienced outdoor and adventurous activity.
- have the skills to self-rescue in the water and swim 25 metres competently.
- understand that being active has a positive influence on their learning.
- understand the values and importance of fair play and being a good sportsperson.
- understand the importance of physical activity and how to lead a healthy lifestyle.
- enjoy taking part in sport or physical activity regularly.
- continue to take part in sport or physical activity throughout their life.